Discovery Exercises and Activities
Each week, you will complete two or three Discovery Exercises and Learning Activities ("Things"), as listed below. Remember, you are in charge of your learning journey. This course is about exposure, exploration and experimentation, not about "doing it right." Your co-participants and Learning 2.0 team are here to support and encourage you!
Along the way, you will also encounter a few Stretch activities accompanying some of the "Things." Stretch activities are designed to enrich and extend your learning. Everyone is encouraged to try at least some of them, but they are not required. If you are already comfortable with a particular tool or concept, you should definitely complete the Stretch activity!
Click the link to view details about each "Thing."
The 23 Things*
Fall 2009 Schedule
Week One (9/14/09) - Introduction and Blogging
- Learn about the course, get yourself a Google/Gmail Account and get Firefox.
Thing #1 - Review some strategies for lifelong learning.
Thing #2 - Learn a bit about Web 2.0 and why it matters
Week Two (9/21/09) - Blogging
Thing #3 - Set up your blog at Blogger and write your first two posts
Thing #4 - Explore some uses for blogs in education
Week Three (9/28/09) - RSS and Aggregators
Thing #5 - Learn about RSS and set up a reader/aggregator
Thing #6 - Feed your reader: find and subscribe to feeds
Thing #7 - Creating community through commenting
Week Four (10/5/09) - Wikis
- What is a wiki? Explore educational uses for Wikis
- Set up your own page on the Learning 2.0 - 23 Things sandbox wiki.
Week Five (10/12/09) - Images and Slideshows
- Learn about Creative Commons
- Intro to Photosharing and Tagging; explore Flickr
- Create an online Slideshow using your own or Creative Commons photos
Week Six (10/19/09) - Discover & Reflect
- Play around with an online image generator; Comment on other participant blogs
- Explore one or more tools of choice (Gliffy, Quizlet, Ta-Da List, SketchCast, etc)
- Blog about something interesting you've found in your Google Reader
Week Seven (10/26/09) - Social Bookmarking & Tagging
- Intro to Social Bookmarking; Set up a Delicious.com account and begin adding and tagging resources
- Discover LibraryThing
Week Eight (11/2/09) - Podcasting and Videosharing
- Intro to Podcasting; Explore some educational podcasts
- Intro to Video Sharing; Explore YouTube and TeacherTube.
- Combine audio, images and video with Voicethread
Week Nine (11/2/09) - Get Productive
- Use Google Docs to create and share collaborative documents, spreadsheets and presentations - Learn about other cool tools Google has to offer
- Blog about something interesting you've found in your Google Reader.
Week Ten (11/9/09) - Connect with Social Networks
- Social networks like MySpace and Facebook are the way many people communicate. Explore one or both!
- MySpace and Facebook get all the press, but there are other social networks.
One last thing:
Summarize your thoughts about this course.